Make SnyderTalk® Your “Go To” Place and Consider Making It Your Homepage
It’s better than a newspaper and it’s free so share it with your friends.
“Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.”
“For here we are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.”
Facebook Group His Name is Yahweh
I use the Facebook group His Name is Yahweh to notify people when a new SnyderTalk has been posted. If you are not already a fan, you should consider signing up. Click here to visit the site. Eventually, this may be unnecessary, but for the time being it seems to be an effective way to distribute information.
For Your Information and Enjoyment
Debt Clock: The Debt Clock
Israel: About Israel, The Israel Project, Tourist Information, the Holocaust, Israel map, Israel’s War of Independence, the Six-Day War, the Yom Kippur War, the First Intifada, the Second Intifada, Arab-Israel conflict, and anti-Semitism
Psalm 49: 7-8,15 says: “No man can by any means redeem his brother or give to God a ransom for him—for the redemption of his soul is costly, and he should cease trying forever….But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol (i.e., meaning hades, hell, or the world of the dead), for He will receive me.”
Yes indeed, our redemption is costly, just as the Psalm says. The price of our redemption is Yahweh’s blood. Only He could pay the price for our sins, and He gladly did. Think for a moment about how Yahweh feels when we choose to reject His gift, and we strive instead to earn righteousness. He died for us, and if we reject His gift, then He will reject us. It’s that simple. As the Psalm says, we should “cease trying forever.”
If we insist on believing our good works can earn redemption and salvation and make us righteous before Yahweh, then we have stumbled over the stumbling stone. That’s exactly what Isaiah was talking about when he said, “Then He (the Messiah) shall become a sanctuary; but to both the houses of Israel, a stone to strike and a rock to stumble over, and a snare and a trap for the inhabitants of Jerusalem. Many will stumble over them, then they will fall and be broken; they will even be snared and caught.” (Isaiah 8: 14-15)
A little later Isaiah says, “Therefore thus says Yahweh, behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, a costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.” (Isaiah 28: 16)
This is a more literal translation of the Hebrew in that verse: “Thus says Sovereign Yahweh, See! I am laying a stone in Zion, a stone of testing, a precious cornerstone for a strong foundation. The one who trusts in it will never be dismayed.” Are you getting the point?
Finally Isaiah laid it on the line clearly so everyone could understand, or at least he thought everyone could understand. He said, “Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, who seek Yahweh: Look to the rock from which you were hewn and to the quarry from which you were dug. Look to Abraham your father and to Sarah who gave birth to you in pain.” (Isaiah 51: 1-2)
Isaiah was telling them, and he is telling us, to have faith in Yahweh and to look to Him for salvation the way Abraham did. And look to Sarah who believed God when He told her she would have a child after she had passed the normal childbearing years. Look to their faith in Yahweh.
In yesterday’s SnyderTalk Commentary, I mentioned radical Islamist Somali pirates. I compared the way they’re treated by the U.N. with the treatment meted out to the Israelis who are merely doing what rational people do when they are attacked without provocation. The people of Israel have carved out a prosperous existence in the face of Islamist Arabs who have been calling for their annihilation since 1948. Things are so twisted in the Palestinian hierarchy that they have installed as their leader a so-called “moderate” Palestinian Arab, Mahmoud Abbas, a man who earned a doctorate by writing a dissertation calling the Holocaust into question. Below are excerpts from his dissertation, The Other Side: The secret relations between Nazism and the leadership of the Zionist movement, 1983, translation by Simon Wiesenthal Center:
On cooperation between the Zionist leaders and Nazi Germany:
“A partnership was established between Hitler’s Nazis and the leadership of the Zionist movement…[The Zionists gave] permission to every racist in the world, led by Hitler and the Nazis, to treat Jews as they wish, so long as it guarantees immigration to Palestine.”
On Jews artificially raising the number of Holocaust victims:
“Having more victims meant greater rights and stronger privilege to join the negotiation table for dividing the spoils of war once it was over. However, since Zionism was not a fighting partner—suffering victims in a battle—it had no escape but to offer up human beings, under any name, to raise the number of victims, which they could then boast of at the moment of accounting.”
“It seems that the interest of the Zionist movement…is to inflate this figure so that their gains will be greater. This led them to emphasize this figure in order to gain the solidarity of international public opinion with Zionism. Many scholars have debated the figure of six million and reached stunning conclusions—fixing the number of Jewish victims at only a few hundred thousand.”
On doubts about the numbers Jews killed in Holocaust:
“Following the war, word was spread that six million Jews were amongst the victims and that a war of extermination was aimed primarily at the Jews….The truth is that no one can either confirm or deny this figure.”
“In other words, it is possible that the number of Jewish victims reached six million, but at the same time it is possible that the figure is much smaller—below one million.”
Source: Palestinian Media Watch
Here’s a question. What would possess a doctoral student to write a dissertation trying to disprove the Holocaust, especially since it is so well-documented? I can think of only one rational explanation…hate, pure unadulterated hate.
Radical Islam in Olden Days
The dark history of radical Islam is seldom told. It dates back to the founding of the religion in 610 A.D., and it flourished until the 1800s A.D. The treatment of Jews in Israel today by radical Islamist Arabs is part of radical Islamic culture. Unwarranted attacks on innocent civilians are not exceptions to the rule. They are the rule, but radical Islamist Arabs harbor a special hatred for Jews because they share a common ancestor—Abraham, the father of Isaac and Ishmael. Their resentment of Abraham’s descendants through Isaac and Jacob is so strong because Yahweh chose the Jewish people as His special blessing to the world. To this day, radical Islamists are jealous of the Jews. Unwittingly, they are doing everything in their power to prevent Yahweh from fulfilling His commitments regarding the Promised Land and the Jewish people.
Unfortunately, most people today are unaware that radical Islamist pirates dominated the seas until the 1800s. Over the next several days, I will present information about that bygone era, and show that their pillaging didn’t stop until courageous leaders put an end to it. Most Americans are familiar with the phrase “to the shores of Tripoli” because that line is included in the lyrics of the Marine Hymn, but they don’t know that it refers to the eradication of the Barbary pirates.
Barbary pirates were also known as Ottoman corsairs. For almost 1,000 years, they preyed on non-Islamic shipping vessels until their reign of death and destruction came to an abrupt halt in the early 1800s thanks in large measure to the president of the young United States, Thomas Jefferson.
Barbary pirates ventured from their homes in North Africa to the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean killing, stealing, and enslaving innocent victims. At that time, Europeans referred to the North African coast as the Barbary coast. That’s how the Barbary pirates got their name. Although the Barbary pirates committed most of their crimes in the Mediterranean region, their reach extended from the west coast of Africa, to England and France, to Iceland, and to North America.
Barbary pirates played an important part in the burgeoning slave trade until it ended in the 1800s. They scoured nearby seaside villages in Italy, Spain, and Portugal looking for human cargo. They particularly liked capturing Christians for sale in the Islamic slave markets of Algeria and Morocco. They prized young white women with fair skin, light hair, and blue eyes. They were considered trophy catches because they fetched high prices at the Islamic slave markets, but the Barbary pirates were intimately involved in the black African slave trade as well. It might do a lot of good if young African Americans were taught in school that their ancestors who were enslaved in the United States were probably captured in Africa by Islamic slave traders most of whom were Arabs, taken to Islamic slave markets that were run by Arabs, and sold to European and American slave buyers.
This information doesn’t get a lot of attention today, but the Barbary pirates captured more than 1 million Europeans and sold them as slaves in Islamic slave markets between the 1500s and the 1800s. In addition, thousands of ships were lost. The Barbary pirates’ reign of terror retarded development along the Mediterranean coast until the 1800s because people preferred building their homes and businesses in safer inland environs.
Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow.
Today’s Events Shaping Our World
U.S. and Western Hemisphere
- Reid cites support for adding homebuyer credit to jobless bill
- U.S. government faces no-win fight with flu
- Surprise drop in new home sales
- Obama taps former Senators to serve on intelligence board
- Wall Street Journal, NBC poll—country heading in the wrong direction
P.T. Barnum was right. “You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all the people all the time.”
- Race to Richmond: Deeds vs. McDonnell
- California police arrest 5 in teens homecoming gang rape
- Poll: separatists take slight lead in Quebec
- Too fat to kill: Florida man uses obesity as a defense
- How the FCC and liberal churches are scheming to shut you up
- All independent candidates are not created equal
- Self-governance works
- Reid’s bait and switch tactics
- Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize
- Fideo, a.k.a. the climate criminal
- The right thing to do
- Don’t replay the 70s
- Bravest Congressman is calling Obama’s bluff
- Welcome to the healthcare free lunch café
- National security: not a good argument for global warming legislation
- Public option outrage
- It’s still government-run healthcare
- Obama jobs deficit a new record
- Understanding the great global contagion and recession
- A principled path to rational healthcare reform
- Why Congress wants to force more Americans into Medicaid
- Healthcare bills’ Medicaid expansion
- Gorky Parks; Lenin Drives: what does Gorky’s critique of the CP have to say to the era of PC?
- Harry Reid’s toughest votes
- Defections have some dems casting about for plan B
- Dems downplay Lieberman threat
- Reid lacks votes for public option as Lieberman stands apart
- House leaders to unveil bill tomorrow at 10:00 A.M.
- Dems trump Obama’s green agenda
- Climate bill forecast: cloudy
Video—healthcare gender gap
Israel and Middle East
“On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; all day and all night they will never keep silent. You who remind Yahweh, take no rest for yourselves; and give Him no rest until He establishes and makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.”
Isaiah 62: 6-7
Old City Walls at David’s Citadel
- Why J Street jeopardizes Jews
- J Street conference: some successes, some awkward moments
- Z Street on J Street
- Peace vs. the “peace process”
- Assad: Syria ready to renew talks with Israel
- Barak: soldiers political protest harms IDF, Israel
- Peres: Rabin’s vision of peace will be achieved
- Ya’alon: I’ll forego Europe trips to allow IDF freedom
- Who decide to go to war in Gaza and why?
- U.S. leaning toward indirect Mideast peace talks
The Temple Mount
- Kurd leader demands control of oil-rich Kirkuk
- Iran’s supreme leader: questioning election is a crime
- Kuwait: headscarf not a must for female lawmakers
- Yemen seizes boat off coast, arrests 5 Iranians
- Lebanon dismantles 4 rockets near Israel
- Israeli official: Clinton to hold Jerusalem talks
The Wilderness in Southern Israel
- Iran to respond to nuclear deal Thursday
- Israel destroys protest tent in East Jerusalem
- Hamas lashes out at Abbas, Palestinian elections in doubt
- Israel shows restraint over latest rocket attack in north
- Baghdad attacks stir fears of Sunni violence
Questions: How much restraint would we show if someone fired rockets at us? How much restraint would Russia, China, India, or any country in Europe show if someone fired rockets at them? My guess is that we and they would show little if any restraint. Do you see the double standard?
China, Russia, India, and Asia-Pacific
- Deadly blast at Peshawar overshadows Clinton’s visit to Pakistan
- Afghanistan counts cost of deadliest assault on U.N. in 50 years
- Israel drones to be used by Germany in Afghanistan
- Karzai’s brother on CIA payroll
- Karzai’s brother denies getting CIA pay
- NATO chief to discuss Afghan cooperation in Russia
- Indonesian people-smugglers jailed in Australia
- Russian space chief proposes nuclear spaceship
- Headlines in The Moscow Times
- Headlines in Voice of Russia
- Headlines in Xinhua News
- Headlines in The Times of India
- Headlines in The Asahi Shimbun
Europe and Africa
- Somali pirates warn Britain against yacht rescue
- Somali pirates seized after firing on French ship
- Zimbabwe lawyers withdraw from justice conference
- Zimbabwe blocks visit on U.N. torture investigator
- Britain pulls rank over Luxembourg over Blair
- Mozambique’s president expected to win re-election
- Headlines in the BBC
- Headlines in The Times of London
- Headlines in Der Spiegel
- Headlines in Deutsche Welle-World
Statistical Information for SnyderTalk
- 51,254 hits from June 24 through July 31, 2009
- 59,814 hits in August 2009; 2009 total: 111,068
- 111,213 hits in September 2009; 2009 total: 222,281
There is a wealth of material available for free download on www.hisnameisyahweh.org including the book His Name is Yahweh. His Name is Yahweh is also available at Amazon on Kindle for just $5. If you haven’t read His Name is Yahweh, you should. The importance of Yahweh’s Name is becoming more apparent with each passing day.
Available on Amazon Kindle and it can be downloaded at www.hisnameisyahweh.org