Shalu shalom Yerushalayim: Pray for the peace of Jerusalem. (Psalm 122: 6)
“For here we are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” (Thomas Jefferson)
- Read SnyderTalk the way you would a newspaper.
- Scan the headlines and read the articles that interest you.
- Be sure to check out the pages in the column on the right.
Facebook Group His Name is Yahweh:
I use the Facebook group His Name is Yahweh to notify people when I post a new SnyderTalk. If you are not already a fan, you should consider signing up. Click here to visit the site.
Email Distribution List:
I have created an email distribution list that I use to notify people when I post a new SnyderTalk. If you would like to be on that list, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “add me to your distribution list” in the subject line. If you know others who are interested in SnyderTalk content, tell them to send me their email address, and I’ll put them on the list.
Scripture of the day:
Isaiah 42: 5-7—Thus says God, Yahweh, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and its offspring, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it, “I am Yahweh, I have called You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You, and I will appoint You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the nations, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the dungeon and those who dwell in darkness from the prison.”
SnyderTalk Commentary: This is about our Messiah. HalleluYah!
“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.” (Hosea 4: 6)
News Items of Interest:
- U.S. anticipates ‘vigorous process’ between Israel, Palestinians
- UN votes to keep peacekeepers on Israel-Lebanon border until 2011
- Netanyahu: Only Likud can forge lasting peace with Palestinians
- U.S.: Rabbi’s ‘offensive’ remarks harm peace efforts
- Fayyad: Netanyahu must explain his definition of ‘Palestinian state’
- ‘PA to have state institutions in year’
- Egypt urges EU to bolster U.S.-led Mideast peace bid
- Barak to visit Russia amid concern over arms sale to Syria
- Assad asks Lebanon to support Hizbullah
- Israeli Arab indicted over contact with a foreign agent
- What Threatens Peace: A Mountain of Hate or A Few Nasty Words?
- War and peace: Obama nears pivotal Mideast moment
- ‘I hope to find a brave partner as Begin found in Sadat’
- Ashkenazi disavows ties with Harpaz
- ‘Iran will hit Dimona if attacked’
- Obama Goes Out on a Limb for Middle East Peace Talks
- Turkey to U.S.: Flotilla Raid an Issue between ‘Friends’
- Russia Honors Commitments to Syria
- Netanyahu: I Never Promised a Continued West Bank Construction Freeze
- It’s Too Early to Write Off Direct Israeli-Palestinian Talks
- Naysayers Are Not Always Right
- Rabbi’s Comments Condemned Ahead of Talks
- A Palestinian Victory, The Arab World’s Dirty Secret
- Abbas Is a Man in Exile, Even among his Own
- Palestinian Rivals Crack Down Harder on Opponents
- The Arab World, Sick Man of the Globe
- Prime Minister Netanyahu Discusses His Trip to Washington on Tuesday
- Israeli Waters May Hold Large Oil Reserves
- Jewish families nearly lynched in Palestinian town
- Video: Mideast peace talks
- Video: Iraq Power Vacuum Fears
- Video: Newborn Hurricane Earl threatens north Caribbean
- Video: Families of Chilean miners wait and pray
- Video: Spill panel probes Obama’s plan to drill more
- Video: Ariz. police say gunman kills 5, then self
- Video: Youtube Goes Hollywood
- Video: Roger Clemens to appear in federal court
- Video: Obama re-affirms commitment to New Orleans on Katrina anniversary
- Video: Superdome nightmare
- Video: Taliban Gaining Ground in Afghanistan?
- Video: Raw Video: Indonesian volcano erupts
- Video: The Fall of Roger
- Video: Greenroom: Mideast Peace on the Horizon?
- Ground Zero mosque imam a slumlord?
- Fly the friendly skies—or go to Israel
- Does Anyone Read In This Town?
- The Future of Our Health Care System
- From Alaska to Australia, voters surprise the establishment
- The Real “Radicals”
- More Government to Protect Us From Ourselves
- Warlord for Congress
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
- End times wired follies
- Let the private sector fund stem-cell research
- Are blacks who speak out against Obama racist too?
- Daunting divides in achievement and family life
- Republican infighting intensifies as Tea Party notches wins
- Tea Party raids McConnell’s kitchen cabinet
- Obama returns to work facing huge headaches over economy
- Hating your countrymen is the new patriotism
- Puncturing the Left’s myths about the public pension crisis
- New York Times delivers predictably hackish piece on Beck/Tea Party rally
- Don’t agree with Obama? Get ready for IRS probe
- Obama and 9-11 Imam Have A Long-Term Relationship
SnyderTalk Editorial: The Economy is a mess, and the president wants more stimulus money. What should we do about it?
The latest data on the economic front doesn’t look good, and that’s putting it mildly. Economic growth during the second quarter was revised downward from 2.4% to an anemic 1.6% by the Commerce Department. At that rate of growth, there are not enough jobs being created in the United States to employ new entrants into the job market. The economy needs to grow at a 3% annual rate just to maintain the status quo.
The unemployment rate in the US is about 9.5% and rising. That’s a terrible sign for the economy because the economic effects of federal stimulus spending are fading fast. A surge in imports during the second quarter is more troubling news. Import growth during the second quarter was the largest jump in 26 years. That tells us people are buying, but they’re being frugal. You can’t blame them. They’re trying to get the biggest bang for their bucks that they can find.
Suppose your best friend asked you for a $1000 loan so he could make his mortgage payment and avoid foreclosure on his home. Within a few days, he comes to you again asking for another $1000 loan to avoid imminent foreclosure. Being a prudent investor, you ask him what he did with the money you just loaned him. He tells you that he was on his way to the bank to make the payment, and he stopped at Wal-Mart to buy some groceries. Then he tells you that Wal-Mart had an eye-popping sale on HDTVs so he bought one with the money you gave him.
Would you loan your best friend another $1000 at that point? Hopefully not. That’s what’s happening now with the US economy. President Obama wanted more than a trillion dollars for stimulus spending to avoid economic catastrophe, and we gave it to him. Rather than investing it in ways that produce stimulative effects, he used it to pay off people and groups that supported his candidacy in 2008. Now he wants us to give him more stimulus money. Will we do it? Maybe with the current Congress, but after November 2010, probably not.
We have already spent more than enough money to stimulate the economy, but it’s been wasted. The economic data being released now and the unemployment statistics tell us clearly that our president gambled with our money and lost. What should we do about it? Let’s start by cleaning up the cesspool that our Congress has become. Next, let’s put serious restrictions on any funds we appropriate so the president can’t continue paying off his friends with our money. Finally, let’s show the president the door in 2012.
That raises another question. Who should we elect in 2012? I can think of two possibilities—Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin. In fact, I think they would make a great team. These two men have experience and good sense. More than that, they are not glory hounds who are just seeking the spotlight. We can’t afford to gamble in 2012. There will be a host of candidates to choose from in 2012, but these two men stand out in my mind as being especially well-qualified.
If you haven’t been there already, you should take the opportunity to visit Natural Healthcare Store. Each product selected for sale at Natural Healthcare Store undergoes rigorous research to make sure that it is the highest quality at an affordable price.
Natural Healthcare Store carries skin care, hair care, and oral care products. Be sure to check out the Dead Sea products imported from Israel and support the Israeli economy with your purchases. Natural Healthcare Store carries makeup, deodorant, and detoxification products. It also carries supplements, weight loss products, and loose leaf tea. Rounding out its product mix, Natural Healthcare Store carries natural household cleaning products.
Katie and I believe strongly in healthy living, and we use the products. We’re proud to say that our daughter Melanie owns the store.
- Iran state media call French first lady prostitute
- Indonesian volcano erupts again, spewing hot ash
- Russian nursing home fire kills 9 people
- Egypt: Dissident signs pro-Gamal Mubarak petition
- Historic city in south Pakistan saved from floods
- Afghan district chief killed in strike on compound
- New video shows emotional trapped Chilean miners
- Norway ‘Bomb Plot’ Underscores al-Qaida Pitfalls
- 7 US troops die in bombings in violent south
- Obama widens sanctions on North Korea
- As U.S. withdraws, Iraqis still live in crisis
- Gun rampage leaves eight dead in Slovakia
- Coming August 31—that’s today: ‘Direct Access’ Stimulus Grants for the Muslim Brotherhood
- Obama: GOP should let small business bill through
- Hurricane Earl lashes Caribbean, threatens US
- Imam says Islamic center dispute politicized
- Biden in Iraq to mark formal end to US combat
- Bad weather delays retrieval BP blowout preventer: US gov’t
- U.S. drones to watch entire Mexico border from September 1
His Name is Yahweh:
There is a wealth of material available for free download on www.hisnameisyahweh.org including the book His Name is Yahweh. His Name is Yahweh is also available at Amazon on Kindle for just $5. If you haven’t read His Name is Yahweh, you should. The importance of Yahweh’s Name is becoming more apparent with each passing day.
Available on Amazon Kindle and it can be downloaded at www.hisnameisyahweh.org